"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Picture Of The Day

Simply amazing:

Many artists have used pencils to create works of art – but Dalton Ghetti creates miniature masterpieces on the tips of pencils.

Dalton, who works as a carpenter, has been making his tiny graphite works for about 25 years...

The 49 year old said: “At school I would carve a friend’s name into the wood of a pencil and then give it to them as a present. Later, when I got into sculpture, I would make these huge pieces from things like wood, but decided I wanted to challenge myself by trying to make things as small as possible. I experimented sculpting with different materials, such as chalk, but one day I had an eureka moment and decided to carve into the graphite of a pencil”.

Dalton uses three basic tools to make his incredible creations – a razor blade, sewing needle and sculpting knife. He even refuses to use a magnifying glass and has never sold any of his work, only given it away to friends. He said: “I use the sewing needle to make holes or dig into the graphite. I scratch and create lines and turn the graphite around slowly in my hand”.
You can view more examples of Ghetti's incredible artwork here.

(via)

7 comments:

Leslie Parsley said...

Neat. Wanted to see more but got a "403 Forbidden Error."

JBW said...

Hmm, it was working earlier today, Leslie. No matter: just look for "Dalton Ghetti" in Google images, you'll see pretty much everything he's done.

Anonymous said...

You ever hear about this prisoner who paints with M&M's and strands of his own hair?

Leslie Parsley said...

Thanks to both of you. There's plenty on Google Images. Interesting but the pencil man is quite something - very tiny and very precise.

Beekeepers Apprentice said...

Ok, that's cool.

Joe "Truth 101" Kelly said...

I used to do shit like that till we got a new supervisor at work. Prick makes us do useless stuff like our jobs so we can't be artists anymore.


I wish I could work for someone who appreciates art like you JBW.

JBW said...

Full disclosure, T101: the pay would be shitty. The company parties, on the other hand...