"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Something Someone Else Said

"This is not a time for the left wing of our Party to draw conclusions about the Cabinet and White House appointments that President-Elect Obama is making. Some believe the appointments generally aren't progressive enough. Having worked with former Senator Obama for the last two years, I can tell you, that isn't the way he thinks and it's not likely the way he will lead. The problems I mentioned above and the many I didn't, suggest that our president surround himself with the most qualified people to address these challenges. After all, he was elected to be the president of all the people - not just those on the left," -Steve Hildebrand, Barack Obama’s National Deputy Campaign Manager

This is the man I voted for; the one in who's hands as president I put my hopes for a better nation. I don't expect to find in Obama an ideologue who will tow the line of MoveOn.org and the far left of the Democratic party, nor do I expect to find a right-wing neocon who will attack any potential enemy pre-emptively without thought or reason. I voted for Barack Obama because I saw a man who considered pragmatically America's collective problems while always keeping an ear to the political and cultural ground. I don't expect him to turn tail and run from our enemies (despite the constant protestations of right-wing talk radio to the contrary) any more than I expect him to start an endless war with a country that never attacked us. As far as I can tell, he's smarter and better than that, and anyone who seriously believes otherwise is either a liar or a fool.

No comments: