"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Monday, October 27, 2008

The Truth About ACORN

This is one of the lies about Barack Obama that the right has really latched onto during this election; the short story is this: some people who were working for ACORN (Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, a community-based organization that advocates for low- and moderate-income families) registering voters wrote in some fake names to pad their roles, the organization flagged these suspect cards and turned them in to the voter registrar as per the law, so now the rabid right is screaming "voter fraud!" at the top of their lungs when nothing of the kind has occurred. This whole situation is truly sound and fury, signifying nothing but I'll let Robert Greenwald's short film speak for itself:

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

I do think Acorn is getting a bad rap on this. I would like to see how many votes Mickey Mouse and the Cowboys actually got in the ballot box.

I also heard that they employed recruiters and payed them based on how many signatures they gathered. My point is that voter-registration fraud is a misdemeanor while Actual voter fraud is a felony. And if someone misses a hyphen or didn't check a box on their registration form I still believe they should be allowed to step in the booth on Tuesday.

Unlike me who's registration form was in on time and stamped but not ripped right down the perforation. Which was touching the loop in the "J" of my signature. So my signature was deemed invalid and I have to sit this year out. If only someone from acorn was there to help me it might be a different story.

JBW said...

I agree with everything you say here bud except for one: their employees were only paid by the hour, not by the sigs. That practice has been shown to produce way to much registration fraud so it is no longer used by reputable organizations.

Jeremy said...

I figured as much but it didn't help my point, so why mention it. I need to learn when to bluff and when to fold.

Unless Sir. Arthur English told me then I don't believe it.

wink wink