"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Question Of Judgement

My own views on abortion rights have changed somewhat lately and I've been reexamining where I stand in the ideological debate over this at times necessary evil and it's effect on our society and culture; just the same, I have to say that I pretty much agree with the sentiment expressed in this commercial about Sarah Palin's views on the subject:

Regardless of where you stand please feel free to sound off on either side of this debate if you wish; while I've never explicitly stated it I hope that the spirit of this blog has been made very clear: there are no taboo subjects. I might not agree with every viewpoint expressed in the comment sections here but I have tried very hard to create an atmosphere where intelligent adults can state their opinions freely as a means of fostering interesting and even unorthodox discussions and debates. This might all turn out to be a mistake someday if I decide to run for public office but I truly don't feel that I should have to obfuscate my opinions about anything, and that's probably why I'll lose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and the "extremist" would ask you to look at the right to life of the fetus/child... an equally important and noble consideration.

I've never really vocalized a position on this. Frankly, I don't know if I ever will. It's one of those situations that I hope to never encounter and don't feel I *need* to have a side on. I wish more people felt my way.

JBW said...

I think a lot of people feel the way you do about many divisive issues such as this and would rather just do what they think is best for themselves and their families while not having things dragged down into the mud of the political realm.

But unfortunately "extremists" on both the right and the left (and I'm trying to be as nonpartisan as I can here but yes, they're mostly on the right) try very hard to make these issues a central part of any election precisely because they are so divivise and incendiary.

As I've said before, I think that it is pretty obvious (and many political pundits have echoed these sentiments) that Sarah Palin was chosen, in large part, to rally the religious, conservative base of her party; it was a hail mary play by a man whose campaign was floundering more and more each day.

John McCain is not about bipartisanship or bringing people together or change, he is about winning this election at all costs and his decision to make this race once again about emotionally charged social issues while playing up the cultural divide within this country has abolished the last shred of respect I had for the man.